HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Taurus model 66 .357 vs. S&W model 620
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 12:17 PM
HEAD0001
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taurus model 66 .357 vs. S&W model 620

I will explain to you the way it was explained to me from the Beretta rep. in the late 80's. Beretta and S&W were fighting for the contract for the government 9 mm. In order to get the contract the pistol had to be made in the USA with new tooling. Beretta set up a plant in Acokeek(spell check), MD. Both Beretta and S&W retooled their plant. Both Beretta and S&W sold there old tooling to Taurus. In S&W's case they also sold alot of their wheel gun tooling. Not all of it, just some. This is when the clonedBeretta and S&W pistols, made by Taurus showed up.

In my opinion the S&W is worth more than $200 more than the Taurus. The S&W is made on better tooling, and is a superior product. Take them apart and look at the internal parts. You should be able to tell the difference. Talk to a "RELIABLE" gunsmith. He will explain the difference.

In short "YES", buy the S&W and never look back. Below is a picture of my S&W 44 magnum. Taurus has never made a pistol that will shoot with this one. Tom.