HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are we going backwards using lighter faster tackle?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:43 AM
PABowhntr
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Are we going backwards using lighter faster tackle?

I think alot ofthe original posthas some merit.

I think most folks look at what you posted and then compare your comments to their own setup. In my case I do tend to fall into the 350-450 grain arrow weight range based on the model and style of arrowthat I prefer as well as the obvious spine issue. In my case I have not run into penetration issues. However, one cannot just look at arrow weight when looking at penetration.Is someone going toget the same level of penetration out of a 450 grain arrow if their drawweight is 70 pounds as opposed to 60, or if their draw length is 30 inches as opposed to 27?

Also consider bow design.Bows of today are more efficient at delivering their stored energy to the arrow thus offering better levels of penetration compared to bows from 15 years ago...and on a sidenote withbetter shot feel and lower noise levels.

Now before you go thinking I am solidly in the light arrow, high speed camp I do agree that some arrows are lighter than I would prefer to shoot. You won't see me shooting some of the super-light carbons out of my setup because of my draw length and typical draw weight range. I feelit does unnecessarydamage to the bow forvery little practical gain. On the other hand I won't be shooting any 500-540 grain arrows in the near future because I do not believe I need the extra weight to gain better penetration for the animals I hunt.

I guess my best advice would be to find an arrowthat tunes well out of yoursetup and keep the arrow weight to at least 6 grains per pound of draw weight. If you shoot less than 60 poundsand/or have a drawlength under 28 inches then you may consider shooting a slightlyheavier arrow (grains per pound ratio) in order to achieve better penetration through momentum.