HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are we going backwards using lighter faster tackle?
Old 01-21-2007, 04:41 PM
TFOX
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Are we going backwards using lighter faster tackle?

My penetration has gotten WAY better with lighter arrows.Of course,a thin walled aluminum will never penetrate as well as a properly spined carbon of average weight, imo.I use ACC's and have no problems on bone hits.My 58# setup probably won't go through a double shoulder hit,regardless of what arrow I use.I figured out a long time ago to not hit shoulders and that problem is solved.

Weight is not the answer,(mass is more important)I also believe in good foc but I am not going as far as Straightarrow but i do like foc.A properly spined and tuned arrow will do way better than weight atany cost.A "heavy" carbon will have much more mass than the aluminum arrows and I believe this to help penetration alot.The heavy carbons are still lighter than most aluminum of the same spine.

Funny this was brought up today.I had a friend that I just got through tuning his bow and i told him to get som FMJ'sin a 340 spine and they are heavy by todays standards but 460 grain arrows are not 500-600 grain.He called me this morning very excited about the arrows.He said he shot through his target and had never even come close to that before.They are properly spined and tuned as well as balanced well.Now he has to buy a new target.[]

Get the popcorn out guys,I see the energizer bunny getting warmed up.