HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - right wing/left wing
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2002, 11:14 PM
Grey Taylor

Default RE: right wing/left wing

Welcome to traditional archery!

If you look from the back of the arrow towards the front, a right wing feather will curve to the right, a left wing will go to the left. The arrow will rotate in the indicated direction.
Remember that the arrow can't rotate at all until it's clear of the string, and I've heard that high speed photography shows it doesn't begin to rotate until it's well clear of the bow.

There used to be a myth that a right handed shooter needed to shoot a particular wing and a lefty the other side. Except for a few folks that don't much care for changing their minds most archers today will say it doesn't matter a whit which one you shoot, so long as the same feather type is used for all the fletching on an arrow. Some shooters will find that a particular feather gives them better shelf clearance than the other feather. Other than that, it's pretty much personal preference slightly tempered by what is available to you in the shop you purchase from. Some shops have a better selection in left wing and I've run into a couple colors that seem to be unavailable in right wing.

Whatever you use be sure that you use the proper clamp for the feathers. Clamps are normally labeled right or left so you'd use the indicated wing, either right or left.

Personally, I use right wing since I find it easier to work on my fletching jig.

Guy