HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Choke and ammo combinations for a benelli SBE II
Old 01-20-2007, 07:15 PM
fantail
Fork Horn

Default RE: Choke and ammo combinations for a benelli SBE II

ORIGINAL: whitetailcrazy

I've got a SBEII with 26" barrel, like I've posted before, I wouldn't go with a turkey, or super turkey choke tube, unless you plan on taking most of your shots 30 yards and beyond.... Cause if your shooting your birds 20 yards and in, you'll be cutting them in 1/2. As for shot selection any buffered turkey load will work fine in #5 or #6 shot size. My chokes of choice, where I hunt in Illinois is either full or Imp. Mod, of which both should have come with your gun. Full when I hunt field edges and Imp. Mod. when I'm in the woods. I don't use heavy shot, just for the fact that my lead kills. I shoot Winchester Turkey loads and Remington Nitro Turkey. Don't waste your money on the 3.5 inch shells, they pattern the same as 2.75" and 3" shells I have found. But if your shooting longer distances, outside of 30 yards with a turkey choke is when you'll see a difference. Hope this helps, I did a ot of patterning tests when I had purchased my gun.
I think this is some good overlooked advice. When I'm shooting a tight pattern I consistently miss close birds. I know where he's coming from.