HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mid-day buck activity observations??
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 01:42 PM
pjhunts
Typical Buck

Default RE: Daytime buck activity observations??

Chasing and cruising mostly for midday. You always hear 10-2 but for me it's more like 9 -1:30. Occasionally you will get a good fight but not often. My style is different from most. I concentrate on spots that I've actually seen deer chasing in, I'll set up on my little stool and wait for one to come by. Most of the time I'm not quite in the right spot though, but that is ok. When I do see a good one out cruising, especially chasing, I'll watch where they go and wait a few mins after they leave and move my set-up to a place, preferrably a point of some kind, where I saw them pass. I'd say at least 50-60% of the time they will come back by that point or another buck will cruise through on the scent trail an hour or so later. Believe it or not this works really well. I generally look for spots in the river bottom or saddle areas in fields where there are wood lotson both sides of the saddle. Other than right at dark, this is when I see the big boys. Another good tactic if you have plenty of area to hunt is taking 1/2 hour or so during this midday movement and drive around your area and look for bucks cruising. Figure out where they will likely head and ambush them. I did this on one of my best bucks, the hunt lasted almost 4 minutes. I knew he was skirting the edge of a cow pasture and was able to slip around and meet him on a cow path, shot him at 12 yards and he never knew what hit him. That is an "odd" way but it does work. During that time of the year the bucks are fairly "approachable" and really let their gaurd down.