HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are we going backwards using lighter faster tackle?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:50 AM
walks with a gimp

Default RE: Are we going backwards using lighter faster tackle?

ORIGINAL: CBM SC

I did the light arrow thing for a few years and it worked well enough........killed 10-15 deer that way !!

But old timmers around here kept saying things I did not want to believe about shooting light arrows !! But shot noise got to be a problem(like they said)the lighter and faster I went........so I decided to back up and go to some 450 grain arrows !

Well , my shot noise went down but I noticed a substantial difference in penetration on heavy bone hits(like they said)!! Not so much difference on ribcage shots..........but a lot of difference on bone hits !!

I realized what the old timers where saying and realistically the trajectoey and time difference from 0-30 yards is a joke !! A 500 grain arrow fired out of a newer fast bow will arrive in milliseconds of a 350 grain arrow out of the same bow !! And if anybody tries it..........a 500 grain arrow will stike within a couple of inches of a 350 from 0-30 yards ( nearly the same at 20 yards) out of a treestand !! So yeh........it is rediculous to go super light weight and give up penetration and shot noise when you will have nearly the same trajectory anyway IMHO!!

But hey...........I learned the hard way and I am sure many others will also !! Thankfully Aurthur P and other folks can give you solid advise from a lot of experience !!

Haven't been on this board for a while but will be around a little now !! Have picked the gun bug back up (after 10 serious years of bow) and checking things out on the gun forums !! [8D]
"Have picked the gun bug back up"

Me too! Shot a late season doe with a .223 Handi Rifle I picked up used and it slammed her big time!! Now I'm looking at the NEF Buffalo Classic 45-70 with the 32 inch barrel $379.95 at Cabelas