HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mid-day buck activity observations??
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 03:46 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Daytime buck activity observations??

Scott

I see quite a bit of activity at mid day but generally it is young bucks ( 3.5 years and younger ) roaming rightoutside the bedding areas. The big boys roam the edges" inside "the bedding area. I wish we had trees here to capitolize on it. To hard to hunt inside the bedding areas without wrecking the area when hunting on the ground. I hunt30to 50 yards outside theedge and hope one slips up but so far no luck.

Our bedding areas are really defined... probably more so then yours. The bucks will have a trail 15 to 25 yards inside the bedding area...running the wholeedge for scent checking the bedding area. I would love to hunt thesetrails but with the young bucks and does feeding right outside the bedding area at mid day it would be a disaster. Plus these trails are in the heavy cover and I would need to be above ground level to get a shot. Again a tree would be nice.

I don't keep a log of deer sightings andthat iswhat you really want to know. It really isn't going to help you out by knowing my specific buck tally for mid day movement anyways. What is important... your deer have the same habits as mine. They rut the same and deal with pressure the same.The key for me is finding an area that isn't/hasn't been pressured duringpre - through post rut. Tough to do but that is where I see the best midday moment. Find those spots, hang acouple stands and tell us what your buck tally is next year.

I am also thinking of trying a deer decoy for mid day hunts. If I can't hunt inside the bedding area... it might be a way of drawing the mature bucks out.

Tim