HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Nosler handload velocities
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 09:23 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Nosler handload velocities

ORIGINAL: hunter5325

I was wondering if anyone has chrono'd their nosler handloads(5th edition). I have been reloading for some time, but have never purchased a chronograph. This is foolish I know, but I just never really thought about it. I always assumed the listed velocities would be correct. Nosler's book gives velocities well above most everyone except Barnes. I am specificaly interested in the 7mm magnum load w/ 140gr. BT's. 3340fps w/ 67.5 grains of R-22. Has anyone shot this or at least similar loads over a chrony. It seems to me that these velocities are a bit high, but who knows. P.S.- this load shoots great in my gun(m700 sps stainless 26" bbl), I just don't know how fast. Thank you for any expriences with this. Brett
[/align]

Mossyoak shot that load thru my chrony. It consistently shot 3050fps. In fact, its so consistent, I have mossy shoot it thru when I think the chrony is off.

I rarely reach the velocities listed. The exception was a few guns that I had krieger barrels put on. In fact, they were alot faster and I hit pressure signs before the published max load. For instance with 94gr of H1000 with 180gr partition out of my RUM factory, I got 3150fps. When I got it rebarreled, it hit almost 3300fps. Thats a big jump.

I recently chron'd a 7mm-08 with 46gr of IMR4350 and 140gr bullet and got 2730fps but nosler publishes 2850fps.

My 45gr load of Varget in my 308 with 165gr gameking, only kicked up 2650fps, I kinda expected alot more.

But for this weekend, my 300win mag surprised me, and got to 3100fps with 77gr of RL22 and 180gr BT. But I am loaded this to 3.59COL. Maybe has soemthing to do with it.

Bottom line, like eld on here says, every gun is an individual.