HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are we going backwards using lighter faster tackle?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:17 PM
kvD9b4

Default Are we going backwards using lighter faster tackle?

It appears that a lot of hunters are obsessed with light arrows, light broadheads and how to make their outfit even lighter and faster. In the next sentence, they are complaining about poor penetration when shooting animals over 250 lbs. More and more frequently, they aren't getting pass throughs. What I am getting at is, is technologyclouding our judgement in "the need for speed"?

7-10 years ago, nearly all of us were shooting aluminum arrows with a 125 to 140 grain weight broadheads.Total arrow weight was around 500-600 grains for most settups.The best bows of the time shot this combo at around 200-230 fps when set on 65-70 lbs. I too had this settup and had NO problem blowing through shoulder bones of big mule deer bucks and elk. Broken leg bones and shoulder bones were the norm, with massive tissued damage. Most animals looked like they had been shot by a rifle. No shot angle scared me (within reason), because I knew the arrow was gonna break bone and get to the vitals.

Now days, most arrows are in the 350-450 grains of total weight and shoot about 50 fps faster than 10 years ago. Penetration through heavy bone is "iffy" on big bucks and elk with light fast settups on anything but behind the shoulder shots. The behind the shoulder shot is definitely a "safer" bet on arrow placement, but isn't always presented to the hunter. Having seen poor penetration on several deer by speedy, light settups, have we gone backwards? Is the few inches less of arrow drop really worth it? With the advent of laser ranger finders, it seems lighter isn't really better, because we don't have to guess the yardage like we used to.

Another statistical ingredient to the mix is, most shots are 30 yards or less, so what does fast and flat do for the hunter?I hear, "The deer can't jump the string", but that isn't really true. 30-50 fps. of arrow speedisn't going tochange the ability of a deer jumping the string in reality.So, what have we gained by going lighter and faster? I am just thinking out loud, because Ifind myself increasing mytotal arrow weight with each passing season. I hunt a lot of elk and fast and light just doesn't cut it. I like slower and heavier. I get MUCH better penetration with two bleeder holes. Thoughts anyone? Flinch