HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sighting in at 300 yards ??
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 06:04 PM
CBM SC

Default RE: Sighting in at 300 yards ??

Guys I have been on bowhunting forums for years...........I figure it's better to be honest and get some help than to tell half truth's or worse and get a bunch of deserved wise cracks !!

I started sighting(going for a 250 zero)in with federal fusion 150's.......I got on at 100 ...dead on but 2.5" high within 6 shots with the brand new set up !! got it on at 200 within a few more shots . This was all with a sand bag !! Shot it at 300 and they all hit lower than I expected and missed the target(some below and some a tad right)!!

So I tried some Fed. Accubond 140's and they shot like crap !! So I locked it down and went hunting with the Fusions !!

Next day : It was windy like I said........shot the Fusions again at 300 and aimed higher ......missed all the target several times(BTW....this was probably a 6-8" black circle target that flakes theblack paint off when you hit it)! Was running low on Fusions so I shot a few Fed.Accubonds.......nothing. Went back to 100 and was 2" high........went to 200 and was 2" low and right !!

Felt like something was wrong and I cleaned my gun and went back to 2" high apprx at 200 ! My buddy showed up with his lead sled or whatever rifle vise.........so I locked it down and the Fed. Accubonds were (surprisingly)cutting holes with it and I felt really good but my groups were about an inch right @200 !! I shot my last group of Fed's at 200 and had 4 shots touching but about 1-1.5" right !!

I borrowed a box of Win Supreme Accubond 140's from my buddy (since I ran out of shells) and adjusted my sight one clickleft ! First shot was 2" high .......dead on at 200..........so I am feeling good ! Next shot was at 300 and aimed aroun 4" high and hit about 1" left of bullseye.........next shot was 4" right of bullseye and no other shot hit ! I couldn't tell where they were going (backstop was too shot up to tell)!! Went back to 250 and shot a 3 shot group......only one bullet caught the far right corner of the target barely but dead on heigth wise !!

So I shot at 200 again(cleaned it again)and was high and around1.5-2.5" right .........moved it over 3 clicls left and shot 1" left and higher.............decided to just move it and zero it 200 and shot 2 that touched at 200 dead on and locked her down !! Went hunting that evening and shot a buck at 125 and dropped him and hit right where I aimed !!

Have not shot again at 300 but I would have no confidence at this point !!

Any thoughts, advise, criticism, or otherwise would be appreciated .......because I generally learn the hard way !! Took me a long time to figure out bows.........but I finally got it !!