HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rutting activity and such in January?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 06:25 AM
MichaelT.

Default Rutting activity and such in January?

Here in South Arkansas our rut is " supposed " to take place in early November. But the other day I got a call to pull a buddy on my lease out of a mud hole ( he was collecting his feeders and such due to recent thefts of some of our gear the last week of the season ), and while we were there, he wanted to Scout a couple of areas. Well we saw a lot of old sign, but we also found a couple of fresh scrapes, and a couple of small rubs. We also found a big rub that was as fresh as possibly that morning. The tree was rubbed white, and still had moisture seeping from the rub. Can anyone enlighten me on the making of scrapes and rubs this late in the season?

Also, as a side note, I found and picked up a decent 6 point rack and skull along a creek not far from one of my stands, that none of the 3 of us on this lease shot. The full skeleton was laying there and the skull still had some hair around the antler bases but therest of the skeleton was picked clean. The condition of the teeth leads me to believe it was about a1 1/2 to 2 year old deer. I would love to know how long it had been there.

God bless