HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Planting spring plot in NE OK
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 12:06 PM
308BLR

Default Planting spring plot in NE OK

I am new to the food plot world, but after reading everything I could from this site and several others I am in the process of putting one in this year. It's in an ideal location, far from roads and close to lots of cover. Roughly 50x70 yards, about .75 acres I believe. I've takes the soil sample to the ext. office, but couldn't wait to get started. Ran a disk over it a few times and applied 1200# of pellet lime. Just got a few inches of ice/sleet, so that should help it leach down into the soil well. After the ground thaws a little I'll be back up there to really disc it up good while everything is nice and soft. There's still some grass in places, and may have to burn that off at the first opportunity. Found an old box spring on the property that will be perfect for a drag/shed trap, which I'll be rigging up in a few weeks. Right now I'm planning on planting Imperial Whitetail Clover, or possibly their clover/chicory blend...pending results from the soil sample. Any opinions/advice? I want to plant at the earliest possible time, and I'm curious about frost seeding. Also, will thorough disking help reduce the weed/grass problem in this plot? I don't want to wait until it greens up to apply Roundup. I'm looking at other ways to improve the land, but there are several brushpiles, plenty of plum thickets, 2 ponds, briar patches, pasture and woods on the property. Some controlled burns are probably on the agenda before too long. Sorry for rambling, but I'm pumped about this, and would really appreciate any advice or feedback ya'll might have.