HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Patched ball lube?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 04:54 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Patched ball lube?

Do you just run the strips of ticking through your mixture of pre-melted lube and then let them drip out and dry. Do you just roll the strips back up and keep them rolled until out at the range or hunting.
After I wash the material, I then tear off a long strip. I then lay that out and smear the solid lube into one strip and work that into the material. You can then roll that up and take it hunting with you.

When I do the moose milk, I wet the strip of the material and then lay it out on window screen and let it dry. Then you can take that and place it in a zip lock storage bag and take it hunting.

I think that I remember reading a post where thay were using sno-seal, would this and the mink oil be the same stuff used for boots?
They actually sell Mink Oil for patch lube at TOTW but I have used the stuff you waterproof your hunting boots with for the same thing. Snowseal will also work well.

When you use the ticking what do you trim the patch with, a little scissor or a razor type knife? I don't think that my pocket knife is even close to being sharp enough for trimming that material. Do these patches need to be trimmed always in the same size or would that not be a factor in accuracy?
I trim the patch on the range with a cheap pair of scissors. When I hunt I trim it with my hunting knife. The patches actually come out very close to identical size if you just cut the material right off at the muzzle.

A double boiler can be as simple as one large can with a smaller can put into that. There is not a lot of need to use all the wife's dishes. I guess a person could make some of this in the microwave as well...