HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Patched ball lube?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 03:24 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Patched ball lube?

The lube called moose milk can be used wet or dry. If you use it wet, just don't soak the patch and shoot ASAP. For instance on the range it works good because it kind of swabs the barrel at the same time.

Another lube is Bore butter. As much as people like it or hate it, it does make a good patch lube. Another one is Crisco Shortening. Just do not use it on HOT days as the lube will break down real bad.

Another lube is go to the sporting goods or shoe store and get some Mink Oil. It works just fine as a patch lube. Another lube I have tried is Permatexhand cleaner made with lanolin. It works as a lube, cleans the barrel and makes your hands clean and soft all at the same time.

I also make a hard lube for conicals that can be used on patches as well. It's made with Castor oil, bees wax, and Murphy's oil soap.

Solid Lube Formula[/b]

2 ounces of Bees Wax
8 ounces of Castor Oil
1 ounce Murphy’s Oil Soap

Using a double boiler system, melt the bees wax. While keeping the wax liquid, heat the Castor oil with the double boiler also. Then mix the two together. Stir them together and while doing this a scum will form. You need to scrap the scum off the liquid. Once the scum is scraped off the mix, then add the Murphy’s Oil Soap and stir fast while it is melted. This will make a nice frothy appearance and very smooth. Pour the mix into containers and it will set up in a couple hours.

Another home made lube is called Junior Lube.

HOW TO MAKE JUNIOR LUBE[/b][/ul]
· exactly 3 fluid ozs of melted lard
· exactly 400 grs of solid beeswax
· exactly 100 grs of Alox solid bullet lube.

this makes a good solid lube and works excellent for patched roundball. It also reduces fowling and I only made one batch and have not played with it enough to totally recommend it to anyone. I want to shoot it some more.

Another lube is olive oil. Take a small amount and smear it on your patch working it into the material. it will work real good. Or you can melt it with some beeswax to make a more solid try substance.

I melted paraffin canning wax once, added olive oil to that and Murphy's oil soap and made a good patch lube, conical lube, and boot waterproofer out of it..

Last is good old fashioned spit. Put the patch in your mouth and suck on it for a while. Then when it gets damp, just use it. It probably was one of the first lubes out there.

Would purchasing the pillow ticking be the best patching material or would it be best to go with the pre-cut patches? This is all going to be a new learning experience for me, but it is really looking like a lot of fun!
I heard from a friend (who works there)that Wal Mart is thinking of selling off their material department. I purchase my pillow tick there. It seems the stuff does not have a big and fast enough turn around, takes up a lot of store space, and demands a full time employee in the section. So when they sell out, I am getting a whole BOLT of material of the pillow tick. That to me is still the cheapest and best way to make patch material.