HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Digital game cameras are not trail cameras
Old 01-11-2007, 11:09 AM
GrumpyTom
Typical Buck

Default RE: Digital game cameras are not trail cameras

I did alot of research on tail cams a few years ago. I wanted an IR unit, but I could never understand the high price for an IR unit, compared to a regular white flash camera. I had a friend that dirrected me towards a hime made unit. After research, I came to the conclussion that store bought units were garbage conpared to what could be built.

The moultrie cams are noted for triggering times in the 6-8 second range which is correct when the owner said that it would be no good for trails. Some cams will trigger faster, but the price is also way up there on them.

On average, a home made unit (with regularly used cams) will trigger near two seconds. Some a little faster, some a little slower, it all depends on the camera you use. They will range from 1.3 - 6.0 megs.

The difference between home made units and store bought are the components which are used. The higher priced units will use top quality sensors and boards but most of the store units will only be trying to make them as cheap as possible to make a sale. Any cam that has a trigger over 4 seconds will be almost usless on a trail, unless you want pics of the back end of the animal walking past.

That is just my thoughts on store bought units.