HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 08:28 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

ORIGINAL: Pella hunter

frontier gander I am not saying I use 3f t7 in my rifles because I do not ,I use pyrodex select 2f , I use the 3 f in my revolver .What i guess I ment was could you use 3f in rifles & is there some sort of conversion to use it.
I shoot 3f powder out of my rifles all the time and actually perfer it. With the finer grade you get a faster burn time. Depending on the powder there are some different factors to take into consideration.

If you shoot 100 grains of Pyrodex RS for instance and want to shoot Pyrodex P insted. Load 90 grain. There is about a 10% difference between the two.

In Triple Se7en powders the actual pressures develped between the 2f & 3f is not as major as you might think. While there is some difference, I only adjust 10% and then let the rifle tell me the load to shoot. In my CVA I never exceed 90 grains of this powder.

Black Mag3 is already a grade 3f powder so you need to adjust down your load from Pyrodex almost 20%. Black Mag is a very powerful powder and very clean burning.

Swiss, Schwitzen, and Kik are all a little hotter burning then Goex. I rank Swiss the hottest of them all. When I shoot Swiss, I am very careful of the grade.When I am shooting 3f grade, I back the charge off 25% from a standard Pyrodex load. Swiss hasa lot of power.

Like I said, I personally like 3f powder but some rifles do not. All you can do is experiment with them and see what the rifle likes. Just start low and work your way up.