HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - possible switch
Thread: possible switch
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2002, 09:53 PM
workhorse

Default possible switch

Hey guys, need your advice. I'm an avid deer and elk hunter, and have never hunted them with anything other than a rifle. This year my partner and I decided to hunt in my fathers old hunting spot. We went scouting twice, once in mid August and again in early September. Both times we were amazed at how many elk and deer wewere seeing. But by second rifle season, despite busting our butts and covering alot of ground in extremely rugged country, we only saw a couple dozen elk, and they were all over a mile away.
The area we hunt is in the San juan mountain range in southern Colorado. It's very rugged but gets a decent amount of hunting pressure. My buddy and I hunt completely on foot. Years ago when my father hunted there, he seemed to do the best during muzzleloading season, far less pressure. That was over 10 years ago, but I'm strongly considering switching to muzzleloading, to have a better chance. Do you guys think this is a wise move? Also, I haven't kept up with Colorado's law changes, are in-line rifles allowed? Any major tactic changes I need to be aware of? If there is anything else that needs to be considered please let me know. Thanks for the help.

Workhorse- Hunt hard.