HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Digital game cameras are not trail cameras
Old 01-09-2007, 08:49 AM
tholder85
Spike

Default Digital game cameras are not trail cameras

I purchased a Moultrie Digital 100 last year and have had it out twice. Once over an active scrape and once on a trail entering a food plot. The camera was angled down the trail to catch deer as they were coming to the plot. No pictures were taken on the camera either time, yet the battery was down when I went to retrieve it both times. I called Moultrie and talked to one of the owners of the company, at least he said he was one of the owners, and this is what he told me. He said that none of the digital game cameras from any manufacturer are designed to be used as trail cameras. He said they are designed to be placed over bait or something that will keep the deer stationary long enough for the infrared sensor to pick it up and take the picture. He said the fact they have an infrared sensor and not a motion sensor, as the 35mm trail cams do, means that they require the object to remain still long enough for the camera to work. He also stated the fact that a digital camera does not take and record a picture instantly like a 35mm camera(I am aware of this)and this is also another reason it is not designed for trail use. He went on to say the he has several digital game cams from other manufacturers and none of them work good as trail cameras. He said if I was wanting a cam for trail use I should stick with the 35mm model with a motion sensor.
I am looking for help from some of you guys and gals out there who have used this or other digital game cams to see what you think of what I was told. I know the camera was set up correctly each time I had it out and there were deer there for pics to be taken. I find it hard to believe that all digital cameras are as bad as the one I have. Any of you out there who can lend some info, please do.[]

Thanks, Tonytiger