HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?
Old 01-12-2003, 04:21 PM
soarkrebel

Default RE: Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

Striper phil i wondered why you attacked me but i understand about getting confused ,i have done it many times. i have said things on here i regreted after i wrote them. it happens!
Now i have never helped my son pull any triggers. he did kill his first at ten but he was as big as a eleven y/o and actually age wise he was closer to eleven. but that isnt why i let him,age that is, it was his drive to hutn with me. he could shoot well at the age and i felt he could mentally handle it. and the little guy has never shrugged from the bloody side of it. granted at his age he cant do all of the cleaning but he is always willing to help.
now my eight y/o has no desire to hunt he only loves baseball. i hope someday he will want to go . but only if he want to. hunting isnt for everybody.
striper phil something my 12 y/o did on the first morning of gun season this year convinced me of my feelings he is ready and just as good as any so called adult.just after daylight a good buck came out into our pasture and began chasing does. now he was a real good buck for south arkansas! my boy watched him through his scope hoping for a good shot. the deer got a little out of his comfort zone for a good shot. plus he didnt present a good shot . he decided to let the buck go and hope to get a shot later. not many adult hunters ,i believe, would have done this. an hour later he killed his first buck , he was nothing close to the first buck, but you would have thought he made the book.
i now feel good as a parent and feel i did a good job when it comes to his hunter education. i just hope i can do as well with with the rest of his years and his brother and sister.

And i will confess i get mad when i watch shows and see dads helping a 7 or 8 y/o hold the gun so the kid can pull the trigger. if they are going to take an animal they should be able to do it all themselves. the shot that is.

I'd rather them hunt with me than have to hunt for them.

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL