HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?
Old 12-16-2002, 07:26 AM
kgkoon

Default RE: Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

I appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts. I agree that dragging the deer out is something someone should not be expected to do alone in every situation. I have helped others and they have helped me do this. However, I do think anyone who shoots an animal should know how to field dress it and clean it. My comments to Cardeer were concerning his arguments about eating at McDonalds and using a fork or spoon.
My topic is not concerned with adults with a disability or "little ladies" as some have put it. That is a different issue as far as I am concerned. A healthy child still has the potential to learn to hunt in all its aspects and clean animals. A disabled adult would not. I also think an adult would have a greater capacity than a child to understand the taking of an animal and the implications of killing an animal without actually doing the associated dirty work. The comparison is not valid in my opinion. I am not so stupid that I would not recognize the limitations of a disabled adult and that the normal rules shouldn't apply to them. I'm sorry, I just don't buy the disabled adult-healthy child analogy.
The thrust of my post is aimed at those parents who make "hunting" similar to a video game, where there is no responsibility for one's actions. Simply pull a trigger, and there is meat in the freezer. The child does no scouting, no preparation, or no dirty work after the kill. I simply do not think this is teaching proper respect for the game.