HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?
Old 12-16-2002, 01:41 AM
btpatriot02

Default RE: Letting Young Kids Kill Deer: Is It Right?

My daughter who is 7 started to go with me at the age of 5.She wanted to go with me at 3 but I told her she was to young.she would cry the whole time. then at 5 I took her she loved it.she started to practice on my grunt tube and rattle bag.she was able to help track the deer that her uncle had shot and wanted to see for herself on how to gut it out,she wasn't bothered by it all.this summer when she turned 7 she got her first bow,because she begged for one.she seen a deer and shot at it,she missed by a mile of course,When I seen that I knew she had the heart to shoot at one.I did not force this on her.Both sides of the family hunt,so she is naturally in tune with it.Because of some of the reason fot it,she's been exposed to the woods since the day was born.My 3 yr old boy is the same way.IMO each child is different some can handle it,some can't.The only way you can tell is by taking them and their brains are like sponges they will absorb everything you teach them and they will appreciate it the way of hunting much greater in the long run.But some states have different laws in youth hunting.My state is 12 years old.MY daughter understands and respects the widlife better than most adults that I know.