HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - weather conditions on rifles
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 12:35 PM
HEAD0001
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: weather cpnditions on rifles

I totally concur with your findings. I always empty my rifle, and clean at the end of every day. I normally just push out the bullet, and keep it for practice.

I have done tests similar to this over the years. What I have done is to shoot at 100 yards, under different moisture content conditions. I believe it is the moisture content, or humidity that makes your rifle shoot differently, not necessarily the temperature. I can shoot right off my front porch out to 200 yards. I have a shooting bench on my front porch.

I believe the powder in your rifle was affected by the moisture. I believe the larger flakes of BP absorbs moisture, and sheds moisture.

We have done snow tests, which I am sure you are familiar with. I always sight my rifle inundersnow conditions with high humidity. This assures me that all my powder is burning. IMO this gives ultimate accuracy. I am sure there is a better way, but this is the best we have been able to come up with. Manufactures have convinced BP shooter's that a rifle can shoot 150 grains of powder under all conditions, and IMO it "just aint so".

I hear hunter's say all the time. It shot here today, but over there yesterday. Hunter's expect more out of there BP rifles today than what they did 20 years ago. They want the rifle to shoot dead on like a 30-06 at 200 yards, every time. And with minimal time at the range. "The guy on TV did it, why can't I do it". Knowledgable BP shooter's know better. It takes alot of work, and alot of shooting to maintain a consistent rifle at 200 yards. Tom.