HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - weather conditions on rifles
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 10:46 AM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: weather cpnditions on rifles

cayugad

Dave, thanks a ton I really appreciate your testing. I wish I had the area to do the same test here - the problem with living in town...

I do have to tell you I am a bit surprised, because essentially I do the same thing but have never had a problem with the gun going boom and nofeeling of a reduced charge. The ONLY difference is Triple Seven for powder vs black powder, but T7 should be worse than black powder...

I did a little experiment the other day - I do notknow what I was trying to prove and I even erased the pictures because it didn't seem to prove any thing. I placed a old tuna can on the reloading table (Terry calls it a junk table)in the rec room. Filled it about half way up with cold tap water, then dropped 50 grains of T7-2f in it. Right away after dropping it in some material floated to the surface, not much but some. The granuals were in a nice little pile (inverted cone). An hour later I took another picture, nothing had changed you could still see the granuals. I had expected then to swell up and dissolve. 3 hours another pic everything looked the same you could still see individual granuals around the outside of the pile and the pile was still individual granuals. 8 hours now change and now the water was easily room temp. 12 hours nother picture and observation - no change. 24 hours same as 12 - really did not fit what I thought would happen. What i really wanted to then was get the Turkey baster and suck the water off and let the whole pile dry, but I got frustratedand through the whole experiment out & down the toilet. What does it tell me? I have know ideal...