HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Odd Group with Kimber 338, any opinions?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:10 PM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Odd Group with Kimber 338, any opinions?

ORIGINAL: demoIL

Will still shoot five shot groups to make sure it's consistant and Kimber says from the factory they shoot .40 in before they leave.. So I should be able to get Sub-Moa groups..
One thingyou may have done already, but if not, I would, is to call Kimber up and ask them what sort of ammo they test these guns out with. They no doubt put them in a vice, but, I doubt they let them cool much. Wouldn't be cost effective or realistic. Call them up and ask.

And as far as break-in/cleaning goes, and this is a little OT, but just my .02. Since its impossible to exactly duplicate barrel fouling each time, and the cost of oil in the bore can be lost game (or your life for dangerous game) I do not clean my bores after final sight in for the season. All I do after each shot is to run a dry patch down the bore. I do that each time after I hunt also, no oil. I have found that it keeps things as close to the same as possible. When I shoot my groups, I shoot a fouler, dry patch, then let it cool. The shoot, dry patch, cool. And so on. A three shot group in the early fall can take me three hours, so I always bring a plinker or a book to pass the time. With a bull barrel gun, you can get SUB MOA groups quick, but with light hunting guns, those barrels heat quick. Shots one and two will be alright, maybe, but the third one will fly everytime unless its totally cooled.