HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stick bow,were do I begin?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2002, 09:37 PM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Stick bow,were do I begin?

The grip on recurves USED to be more like compound grips, but that isn't always the case any more. With the thin, low wrist grips that have gotten popular on wheelbows over the past few years, now a great many manufacturers are making their compound grips much more similar to many reflex/deflex longbow grips.

Most recurves have their risers cut close to center, with most longbows being about 1/8" short of center, making recurves less picky about what arrow spine they like. That's the main benefit recurves have over longbows for beginners, as far as I'm concerned.

One of the first things you need to buy is a bow stringer. It's more important than a glove, tab or arm guard. Amost as important as the arrows. Recurve limbs are easily twisted when stringing and unstringing. Learning how to use a stringer is highly recommened for longbows but for a recurve it is a definite MUST.

I am in complete agreement with the suggestion to look hard at the used bows on the market. Going to trad shoots is a great way of seeing a lot of bows from a lot of makers in a short amount of time, and there are always a few bows for sale. But, if you absolutely have to order a new bow, you'd be hard pressed to beat one of Martin's Howatt Hunter recurves.