HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - BARNES TRIPLE SHOCK BULLETS?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2006, 05:00 PM
358WINMAN

Default RE: BARNES TRIPLE SHOCK BULLETS?

I've shot a few whitetails with my .35 Whelen and 200 gr Barnes X bullets, handloaded of course. The accuracy was ok at 100yds but the damage to the deer was impressive. I've never been able to recover a bullet from any of them. Exit wounds were quite substabtial. However, the price of these bullets is high. I do most of my loading and hunting with Nosler Bal Tips and Partitions. The ballistic tips are awesome for two very necessary hunting reasons: 1) They are very, very accurate, specially when you can play with the powders and charges until you get 1/2" to 3/4" groups at 100yds. 2). They never fail to quickly and cleanly kill whitetails, antelope, mulies, coyotes and moose. Yes, I said moose! A friend of mine and I are .35 caliber buffs. We both had .35 Whelen that we customized and shot a lot of deer and bear with. We handloaded Noslers 35 cal Ballistic tips, 225 grainers and shot them with very good accuracy. He went to Newfoundland and shot a moose with that load at 175yds. The moose stepped and fell dead. No second shot needed. When they got to the moose the damage was extensive. He was dead before he hit the ground.
So, In my humble opinion, I still love and will always love Bal Tips and Partitions. They work very well and cost far less.