HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?
Old 12-28-2006, 01:12 PM
idahoelkinstructor
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wolf, to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question?

Personally, I think wolves are cool, and I don't think I'll be shooting one anytime soon. Had one at 15 yards last year, it never even saw me. Me and my dad could hear the whole pack all morning. It was cool. Wrecked our morning for hunting, but it was a cool experience.
I too agree they are somewhat cool to listen too, but at the same time I know youcan hunt them in Canada andthey have a lot more land to roam around on. Not here in the good ol western USA. Sure we still have big tracks of land but nothing compared to whats north of us. The wolves have learned that winter grounds are easy pickings.I know some feel we hunters are trying to be game hogs wanting the elk all to ourself and that is not the case.Ifthe wolves are left unchecked I would be willing to bet everything Iown, that there willbe no elk hunting inIdaho come 15 or maybe even 10 years down the road. Right now the experts say we have between 650 to 800 wolves(around 70 to 80 packs)in Idaho alone. Some say more, nobody says any less.But come this spring you can add another30% to that figure. Surethere is food for them to eat, but each year the wolf number increaseand the elk numbers drop, until thepoint that the elk numbers are so low that we as hunters are not needed at all. For those who say''ya right that will never happen" I say to them areyou willing to bet your hunting on it? Bottom line is we need every hunter's support on this with the antis because they are well funded and organized and will stop at nothing to end hunting.And yes I do believe that the wolves are their best weapon here in the westernU.S. We as hunterson the other hand are divided into many groups that bicker with one anotherover less serious issues. One example of the many iswe are more worried about who hunts with what weapon, andif that weapon was the best choice for the game being hunted and so on.