HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what are the best lures
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2002, 09:54 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what are the best lures

I have usually stayed away from scents. However this year i obtained some free samples and gave it a whirl. The one that worked the best out of 3 brands was Scent Sheilds "Still Steamin" doe in estrus. I set it out in a half moon up wind of my location and rattled. I used regular unscented tampons (unused) as scent wicks and hung the middle and one side one at 3 feet, with the final side one about 18" off the ground(they average 100-200 yards away from my location, in clear shooting lanes). I also dripped some at medium intervals between the middle and sides on the ground. I had one decent sized buck pacing back and forth for about 5 minutes, trying to locate the doe in question. We ended up taking 3 mature bucks in 4 days with this tech. and it was late stage prerut-early rut. The one I shot was sniffing the tampon at 125 yards due west when i drilled him. the other 2 just came straight in to the rattling, but all stopped and sniffed the scent blowing. My lay out was exactly the opposite as the direction stated, where they say you should set them downwind of your stand/location for max. effect. While maybe true to get them to come to the smell, I don't believe in letting deer smell me if I can help it. So I switched it up and rattled for the lure. I basically used the scents as a possible scent cover, for deer coming in the backdoor (which is always a big possibility when rattling). Then as a possible lock when they got close they may smell the scent and commit to the fight. All in all I think it worked pretty well.