HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??
Old 12-23-2006, 01:23 PM
TFOX
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Most 1 pin shooters will not take a 40 yard shot,the ones that will are sighted in at 30 and will hold high at 40 so thefast verses light arrow speed trajectory is still the same.A moot point at best.

I personally don't care near as much about weight as I do arrow balance and the mass of the arrow.NO mass isn't weight.Thin walled aluminum arrows can be heavy but penetrate likesh!t.[]

I have personally tested real heavy arrows with extremely low foc and the penetration sucked for me.Maybe because my ke level is relatively low.Same arrow with weight tubes removed and 11% foc worked awesome for me.I tried a Nitro stinger traditional light that has extra wrap up front so the mass was extreme on this arrow and the penetration was off the charts and I believe the weight was only 410 grains.Foc was also 18% due to the design of the arrow.

I much prefer an acc or carbon arrow but a thick wall aluminum will also do a good job. .015 or thicker imo.

Broadhead style will make muchmore difference than anything and no,fixed doesn't always penetrate better than mechanicals.[8D]

I shoot 380 grain ACC'S @ 58#'s and 28 1/2" draw and blow through deer with my expandables.1 1/8" cut and well tuned arrows make MORE difference than light verses heavy or any of the other crap.

I personally believe speed does help in penetration in certain scenarios as well as momentum.I also believe that ke helps also.

I have spoken with a ballistics EXPERT who also egrees with me.

I said I wasn't going to argue but I couldn't resist.[][8D]