HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tracking dogs. whats the best?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Killer_Primate
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tracking dogs. whats the best?

Well that is probably a great choice for a tracking dog. However, if you're looking to find a dead deer just about any healthy dog will do.

I have an Australian Cattle Dog AKA Blue/Red heeler, Queensland heeler. It only took him one training session to figure out what I wanted him to do. After you shoot a deer, go get your dog. Even if you know where the deer is. Give the dog some commands such as "go get'em boy" or whatever else you like. Once you find the deer, praise the dog like crazy, even if you are frustrated with his performance, and he didn't really find it. He will then know what you're expecting of him.

I'm also using my dog to assist in stalking. He seems to be a natural. His breed is a mix of Highland collie and wild Australian Dingo, so hunting is in his blood. If I'm sneaking, he's sneaking. If I stop, he stops. I'm no dog trainer. He just seems to know what we're doing and seems to be getting pretty good at it.

But, I would not recommend this breed unless you've got some room for him to run and you plan on spending a lot of time with him. The don't like playing simple games such as fetch. They like to be with you, doing what you're doing, and learning. They also can be pretty aggressive and protective.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions,
KP