HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Getting started trapping. What to use
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 08:09 AM
jhoffman

Default RE: Getting started trapping. What to use

If you're going for bobcat - I would go with a dirthole set with a good fresh bait - cats don't like anything rotten - niether do most animals though - they will get drawn in by movement so what I like to do is above the hole in the dirt hole set I take a squirle tail and stick it in the dirt so it will flicker around in the wind - be carefull to shield the set from the air as good as possible though - up under a pine tree or something - this methode will attract hawks and other birds of prey to the set too. I will also look around after making the set and find a rise in terain close by like a big old ant hill or something and place a trap there too. Both bobcats and coyotes have a habit of getting up on these little rises to get a better view before commiting to comming into the set sometimes and this just gives you one more chance.

Good Luck - I have not even got out yet this year but am going to try and put out a line this comming weekend for coyote, fox, and coon - maybe a few water sets if I have time.