HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Foiled again! Arrrrrg!
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 08:40 AM
Buellhunter

Default Foiled again! Arrrrrg!

Well, I decided to go out this morning, first day after shotgun season(it ended yesterday)
I have stuff to do today including cutting up a deer a friend shot Sat with his shotgun.
Soo, I'm thinking I'll just go to my closest hunting spot and hunt a couple hours.
Now, the only way I can access this 8 acre spot,that is surrounded by woods that another person owns is to wade the creek. I throw my hip waders in the truck with the rest of my gear and head out at 5:30 am
I get out there, put the waders on and walk down to the creek. Now normally, you can wade the creek with knee high rubber boots. Not today!
I enter the water and it is up past my knees, no problem, that's why I bought hip waders. I get to the middle of the stream and the water is about 6 inches above my knees. Now, I have to tell you, at 22 degrees out this morning, that water is COLD. I can feel it through the waders.
I go a little farther and the water goes above the tops of the waders and starts running down both legs, CRAP. I back up to get out of the deepest part of the stream, backtrack to where I came into it and climb out. I then head downstream, more directly across from my stand and try again. Same result, the water is too deep.
I do not want to get my feet and legs any wetter than they already are so I go back up the bank and set up in a small deadfall.
I change back into my regular hunting boots, my feet are soaked and my legs are pretty damp too. I figure I'll just sit there for a couple hours and see if anything comes across the creek or from the field and woods on my side.
At 7:30 I see movement, yep you guessed it, 4 does on the other side of the creek(the side I can't reach because of the water) and they all, single file, walkwithin 10 yards of my stand!
Just my luck[]I guess I should've just slogged thru the water anyway and got in my stand. I think I need some chest waders.
I did get to watch them for about 15 minutes so the morning wasn't a total wash. That, and it felt REALLY good to be back in the woods with my bow!