HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - POINTING LAB??
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 10:33 AM
sproulman
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: POINTING LAB??

ORIGINAL: daleh

WHAT'S THE POINT
GET A REAL BIRD DOG
dale, doc e has said many times before that the setter ,if only hunting birds, is one to get....

all around dog is LAB..if lab is bred to point, thats something that is a great thing, i feel..

i dragged a grouse wing the other day all over my property, i hid it in spot..i left lab go and he was on that grouse in 10
seconds..something to see..

does same in woods EXCEPT i wish he would hold a point at 20 yds or so on grouse, he FLUSHES..

having LAB that holds a point is something that i have to see..

only problem i have so far with our labs hunting wild grouse is they tire out ,maybe its conditioning etc.i also have small long legged americam lab..80 pds max on male even thos he looks 60 pds..he tires out in about 2 hours or so ..

that is only thing other than point i wish i had in him..so setter is better for birds but if a pointing lab happens, that could change my view from the setter..

secret to hunting grouse here in heavy woods is dog that hunts no more than 30 yds in front of you..

the only one i see that does this is LAB..others, well, you train /hunt dogs,you know how far they hunt out in front..

grouse in pa. WILL NOT sit and let dog hold them..they only chance you have is to BE CLOSE and DOG CLOSE when they flush..