HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Can a deer survive a gun shot wound?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2006, 04:03 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can a deer survive a gun shot wound?

ive seen them completely missing a leg and still running good with the rest of the herd...they are amazing animals...that deer you seen should be fine...so long nothing major was hit and infection doesnt take hold.

i was hunting with a guy the last day of the 2 week rifle season...he killed a monster 10pt..his wife shot it OPENING day..hit it in the leg with a 243...2 inches higher it would been in the heart..bullet looked like it exploded when it hit the leg bone..big nasty open wound. that buck was sick. infection set in and it was NASTY...the buck was skinny and scraggly lookin when the guy killed him. he was laying on the edge of a SGLs foodplot..he got up and ran just fine...but he was hurtin and sick...he wouldnt made it another week. the guy called us and said it was nasty infected and it spread pretty far..didnt look like he ate in the 2 weeks he was injured..no doubt he would have died...i think it was a spot he couldnt get to to lick and clean..i dont know..but it was nasty infected..in cases like that they have a smaller chance of making it..