HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Could This Be ONE agreeable Point on this Forum???!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 04:07 PM
TUK101
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Could This Be ONE agreeable Point on this Forum???!!!

ORIGINAL: TxStorm

ORIGINAL: TUK101

If I could, I might but only on my own property where I know that I would have a perfect shot and am very confident in my aim.
Not to pick a fight or anything, but I have issues with this statement. It strikes me that you are saying that only on your property do you have the confidence and opportunity to have a perfect shot. Shouldn't a well practiced rifleman have confidence anywhere he/she shoots? A responsible hunter should access the target, what's behind it, over it, under etc., if the shot should be taken and is the weapon in hand up to the task. And how can you state that perfect shot bit? Is the poor lil' deer gonna be fitted with concrete shoes and have a 2x4 propping him up so he can't move? There is no such thing as a perfect shot with humans, they do go your way sometimes on the really difficult ones. And yes, they can feel perfect to the one that pulls it off, but it is subjective. Wind blows, rain falls, animals move and people twitch.
Like I said, not trying to pick a fight here, just don't understand statements like this. Also, perhaps I merely misunderstood your intentions based on lack of sleep etc on my part.
The reason that I wouldnt take my .223 out hunting with me where I would be leaving the house is because here on my property I have a shooting blind and a feeder set up about 25 yards away. I also have a range set up with targets at 25, 50 and 100 yards and I am very comforatable shooting here where I have a bench with a rest to shoot off from. Out in the woods I would have to be shooting off hand and I just wouldnt be confident enough to take that shot with a .223. Sorry if that is hard to understand, but I dont know how else to explain it. The main reason though is because I dont want to loose a deer and have a game warden showing up at my door wondering why I shot at a deer with an illegal caliber of rifle.....