HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Without a high fence!
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2006, 12:14 PM
jhalfhill

Default RE: Without a high fence!

Shooting someone has to do with responsibility as a hunter, not doing deer drives. A responsible hunter is not going to take chances. You're taught to be aware of your surroundings and shoot into where you have a backstop.

I'm not going to lie, I shot within 10 yards of someone with a 30-06 before. Yes I pulled the trigger, but was it my fault, absolutely not. I would have felt awful I'm sure if something bad would have happened, but this individual was breaking the law and I was completely unaware of his presence. It was a really dreary day and PA laws require lots of BLAZE ORANGE to be seen at all times while in the woods. This guy was in a blind with NO ORANGE whatsoever, about 10 yards in the woods from where a nice 10 pointer stopped for a break while running from another hunter. I was on a gasline, and so was the deer. I had no idea he was there and I had been standing there for 30 minutes.

That is ignorance on his part. If you're hunting and you're fully dressed in blaze orange, your probably never going to get shot at. If you don't want shot at, you have to be a responsible hunter too. My case was not a case of mistaken identity or anything, its just the fact that he failed to make himself noticed, and then he had the nerve to b1tch me out for it.

Public ground is public ground and you can't control what goes on there. If you want to keep your children safe, go find a local farmer and ask permission to hunt. You will have less hunting pressure, and alot better of hunting grounds also. That's the only real way to avoid deer drives and hunt the way you like to hunt.