HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Opinions on Group Sizes???
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2002, 05:02 PM
Whiteymin

Default Opinions on Group Sizes???

I wrote about a model 70 Winchester .308 that I recently purchased. I shot it today for the second time. The first time I shot 20 shots at 5 shot groups and got mostly 2 inch groups and a few 1 1/2 inch groups. That was at 100 yards. Today I fired 4 shot groups and I fired 3 groups. The distance was 100 yards. I shot 2 inch groups 2 times and one 3 1/2 inch group.
My observations so far are this: The Rem. core lokts shoot the tightest groups. They are the ones that averaged 1 1/2 inches, and if I would have been firing 3 shot groups a couple would have been around 1 inch. The Winchester PP's shoot the second best averaging around 2 inch groups. Both the Rems and Winchesters hit within my 2 inch bullseye. I tried Federal Hi shok 150 gr. today and the one group I fired with them is the one at around 3 1/2 inches, but also 3 inches left of the 2 inch bullseye and 2 inches high above the 2 inch bullseye. They were no where near zero. To use these I would have to resight. I put them away and am staying with Rems and Wins.
I also noticed that as the barrel warmed up the groups would open up no matter the ammo. I looked at targets from first time out and today and every group that I shot with a cold barrell, the first shot hit within 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the very center of the bullseye. Each succeeding shot would get a little further away. Even at the 2 inch groups at 100 yards is this acceptable accuracy with hunting loaded factory ammo? If not what would be? and What can I do to try and get my rifle there? Considering the given performance, what kind of improvement could I expect if I were using handloads? Thanks for all input. I want to be excited about this rifle, but I don't know if it is shooting accurately enough considering all the MOA talk I read on the forum. Thanks again for any help.
Whitey

Whitey

Post Extras:
Pages: 1

Whitey