HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - APEX Float/Bed
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Pglasgow
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: APEX Float/Bed

Thanks Mike,

There's alot of good information there and I am reading and assimilating. You may be interested to know that the APEX's action is different than you suspect.

First the Apex has a two lug system to transfer recoil to thestock. I guess this is because there is no receiver. This rifle has no bolt and its 29" barrel gives a full 28" of usable barrel length.

Theaction/triggerassembly drops down to expose the breech for priming and allow removal of the breech plug. A very interesting design that I very much like.

I get what you are saying about trimming the stock. I did figure on doing that, but it will only be needed on the sides (left/ right). It did occur to me that I could float the barrelby removing stock material. But I thought bedding the lugs on a shimmed barrel would be faster and allow me to leave more of the stock intact.

I can also tell you that the stock is very sturdy and it does not flex in the way you described the Firebolt. I love my Sidekick, and I don't in any way want to dis NEF, but hands down, the APEX appears to be a far superior rifle in construction and quality. I really do feel like I stole it because I got it so much cheaper with the clearance. I have even considered getting another.

I'm gonna get back to reading your post, cause you've just encourage me to look into bedding my hprs's also.