HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone not taken a deer this year?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 07:25 AM
DeerWhisperer
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone not taken a deer this year?

I too have not taken a deer yet. Well that's not entirely true. Last day of the 1st muzzleloader season my cousin and i were sitting in the same ground blind. 2 does came up and me being on the right side i shot at the deer on the right thinking he would take the 1 on the left.
1 deer falls, The deer on the right falls. I'm thinking i got mine. We walk to the deer and it has 2 bullet holes in it. I asked my cousin which 1 he was shooting at? he says the 1 on the right. Oh well, so technically, i harvested half a deer. But he still had meat from last year so he gave me the deer.
He has since gotten 4 more and i have gotten 0. But in my defence I did start bowhunting this year and was spending some time doing that. Also i have taken my 2 boys out trying to put them on a deer. My older son let 2 deer walk after i was nearly yelling at him to shoot. The 1st was 25 yards away and the other 35 yards away. Both times were with a muzzleloader. My youngest son never came close to a shot, but with all his moving around sure did spook alot away. Once a deer came within 15 yards but my youngest son was between me and the deer. I kept whispering for him to lay down in the blind slowly, but by the time he finally did i was nearly yelling it and the deer spooked.
I usually get 3-5 deer a year and this year sucks as far as getting deer. But i have had alot of good times with my 2 sons in the woods and also alot of frustration.e have 2 more weeks of muzzleloader season starting saturday. Saturday i will take the boys but i will be alone during the week. Hopefully i can harvest some meat for the winter.