HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in the wildlife management fields
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 08:34 PM
cbanman

Default RE: Jobs in the wildlife management fields

I got a BS in wildlife biology 10 years ago. As a student I worked for the state wildlife department, forestry service and campus pest control. I loved my part time jobs. When I graduated I was faced with working temporary positions for low wages. The work was fun, but I wasn't willing to re-locate all over for years on end to work 6 month jobs, in hopes of landing a full time positon. I decided to take an entry level position for a big company as a biological lab technician. 8 years later I am a research biologist running a laboratory. The work isn't as fun as the direct wildlife field work, but it's not bad either (and the pay is much better). If you decide to stick with that field, my advice would be to be flexible in your career choice. Not many guys are lucky enough to manage whitetail on hunting ranches. Concerning the $$, I know it's not everything, but it is something. I still have the opportunity to hunt and fish about as much as I want (God bless my wife) and I am saving for right piece of property to come up for sale so I can have my own hunting spot. I doubt I'd be able to save for this if I was pulling $15/hour working for the state. Just something to consider. By the way if I had to do it over again, I may have just stayed in the engineering department at school.