HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Catus Magnus
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why do you like/dislike the 30/30? And more.

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111
...do not like the 30-30 because it is a relatviely weak cartridge,and has horrendous ballistics, compared to other .30 Cals, like the .308
True; it is the oldest of the 30s, after all. And measured against what has come up since in the 20th century, the 30-30 is of course found wanting. However... if measured against what is required by most deer hunters to take their deer... the 30-30 gives up little to more potent cartridges at common deer-hunting ranges, and is no where near as deficient as pouring over ballistic charts might lead one to believe.

ORIGINAL: dway87
I took the ol' 30-30 to the range and it was shooting various sizes in groups. i wouldn't trust shooting a deer over 100yds with it. but who knows maybe i will have better luck with the hornady ammo.
A couple thoughts: how you hold the gun makes a diff, it is touching anything solid when you're on the bench, etc. And, groups will definitely open up as it warms up - if you're gonna shoot a box of ammo, give yourself a LOT of time. My impression is that my Marlin suffers more when barrel warms up, compared to Savage 30-06 and .270 I've owned in the past. I doubt new Hornady ammo will make a substantial diff in accuracy at likely hunting ranges.