HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 10:22 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2006 Canadian Whitetails - Get' em!

JD, for me summer scouting is really nothing other than watching antlers grow, seeing potential, getted reved and looking forfood source hot spots. As far as patternsother than maybe a few weeks in sept. things change as the fall progresses, especially mulies! I have found the best non hunting time to scout is now, they are still in rut patterns and the sign will be freshened up as the final 2 ruts occur. Essentially you are scouting them as if you were hunting them a few weeks ago for theprimary rut timeframe. You can really learn a lot to where your summer bucks range to to find love and then start looking at the transition between, if there are any. Of course this time of year comes with other concerns months previous of living it and breathing itplus getting ready for the season...so time is limited but after the hussle and bussle it still is good right up till they start yarding. Shed hunting the deer often yard up and this means the potential of finding antlers may never see again because of this migration if you will. Doesn't always hold true for all areas but for the most part that has been my experience. It still is a wonderful time to walk your terrain and get to know it. With the leaves off you can see things more clearly than in springtime or summer. Bonus is finding antlers without taggin' them and busting coyotes along the way. I don't stop scouting once the season has begun, in fact this where I spend the bulk of my time doing the grunt work while actually hunting. No sunday hunting offers this on a weekly basis if you can get away but like you I travel to some of the areas i hunt so I incorporate it into the days events. In early fall the mid day is often a wash so instead of sitting starring at a tree or doing nothing I use the down time to scout on these further from home trips. Even while actively hunting I scout, hey you have to be in the field anyway might as well use it to find the spot within the spot then just sitting their hoping your in the right place. I am not suggesting you tromp all over hells acre or in your pre-determined "hotspot" but rather always be looking by doing it smartly.

As far as the closer spots keep looking my friend. Does with fawns = daddy. If it is a dud, move on to another spot. Lots of time and you always have your original spots to fall back on. Never be scared of virgin territory, at worst you wasted a day or 2, then again you may just find your new "hotspot".