HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The greatest QDM thread ever....
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 07:00 AM
Germ
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The greatest QDM thread ever....

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

Germ....

This goes against everything I've ever heard about QDM. What "I" have heard....is the youger does are likely the smaller ones (stand to reason)...and that they're likely going to come into estrous and be bred if not taken from the herd. Her offspring will be not as healthy as those bred from a mature doe.

I've seen MANY QDM types on TV state this theory....including uncle Ted. He's a BIG proponent of taking doe fawns out of the herd in lieu of mature does (IF GIVEN THE CHOICE).

I'd like to hear nore about this...in hopes of learning something before I enter the woods on Saturday for THIS PURPOSE, alone.

Also.....if you've got a mature, healthy doe....WHY would you want her out of the gene pool?

Jeff
Jeff this is only if your herd is in really bad shop. You take the older deer out, so the younger deerbreed. This will help weed out the bad genes. You only do so at the start. Sorry I should have put this in. Once your have a good base your all set.

Few place in MI where Metro parks are over run. When you get to this point deer are in bad shape. They are under weight, poor antler and just not healthy.

Places like my farm I shoot would just shoot a doe for every buck.I wouldreally not care about age on either. Ifwe could just do this our herds on average would bebetter.

The natural world is gone, we screwed it up, We should do what is best herd. Maybe it is shooting no bucks for awhile(I have done this).

We love the line "We are conservationallist" So lets start acting like one!