HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Learn to Breed Dogs
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Learn to Breed Dogs

Everyone: If it sounds intimidating or overly cautious, I think it's meant to be that way. There are just too many people that go into breeding without a clue about health issues, lines, etc., etc. Or they think they are going to make some money.
I feel it is a good thing to be overly cautious, a friend of mine had bred a pair of English Setters that had been field trialed here. They had won some of the grouse and woodcock trials and did great for him. However when he had them bred he had deposits for six or seven pups. When the pups were born they all died except for two, and all requested their deposits back. He had a very hard time selling the two that lived, as no one wanted to take a risk on those pups. He had found out the hard way on breeding issues and the female had been spayed and no more pups for him.

On another note I have a pair of Irish Setters and have bred them once 2 years ago I had no problem selling them asit isvery rare to find the hunting lines of these. I have had several requests if I choose to breed them again, to date I have no plans to. From my last litter of seven pups they have been sold from here to PA and all have been very happy with them. I also make it a habit to contact them every once in a while to keep a good relationship with them. from the ones in PA and NH I recieve e-mails and pics of them every once and a while. To me it is more then breeding them that counts as I like to keep everyone happy with what they purchased from me. The pups are all family pets and hunters and they love the birdy style they have enjoyed with them. One has had and bred the English and has commented he had never had a dog so birdy before. And that he has never seen a dog catch a woodcock until now.

Sorry for the long message but, I wanted to say that responsibility goes a long ways.