HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bi-Sected Gold Dot
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Pglasgow
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bi-Sected Gold Dot

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Pglasgow

That's pretty good thickness on the jacket. Do you think the "dot" comes from the nose of the plated bullet during the swaging operation?
And remember this is a 10mm 180 grain Gold Dot - I would expect a little more thickness with the .452 - and I agree with your assesment of the dot... what I realy had trouble believing was that it would hold together as it drives through - but it does... Those pictures of recovered bullets from a wet dirt bank really show that.... + they retain most of their weight and you gotta know shooting wet dirt is tougher on the bullet than an animal....
One thing that occurred to me is that copper has a very high melting temperature. The dot mayhelp toprevent the lead under it from "flowing" out into a continued mushroom, not to mention the jacket. Have you noticed the expandedbullet at speer's site looked a whole lot like the fellow's bullet recovered from the deer? Looks like there was alot of heat flowing across the exposed lead. Awesom expansion. I kind of see these gold dots performing similar to the barnes expanders. Opening rapidly due to hydraulic pressure with very high weight retention.