HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - TN Lady looking for love
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 12:09 PM
mustad
Typical Buck

Default RE: TN Lady looking for love

bhensley,

Doc just believes very strongly in trying to get the best out of the breed. As direct as he is, his foundation is sound in my opinion (at least in this matter). Probably more so for labs than most, if not all, other breeds; overbreeding and breeding without control or purpose is widespread. You are right in one perspective in that if there is a market for a litter, why not do it. Fine. But what are the expectations that the new owners have. Are they looking for a dog that has the smallest likelihood for hip problems; are they looking for a hunting dog; etc...?

By putting measures behind the breeding, one can minimize the chances of having problems and maximize the chances of getting the dog that best meets the expectations being set by the breeder... backyard or otherwise.

These types of things have been done for over a century in other places. Not to make waves, but it takes only a quick glance at a breed like the Deutsch Drahthaar to see how consistent a breed can be if controls are put in place. Not to say the DD is the best dog by any means, but I think it would be difficult to match the consistency you see coming out on average from any breeder. I firmly believe this is due to the group of breeders having the same vision for dogs which is defined, monitored and enforced.

Without all these controls, pretty soon Doc is going to try to convince us that a lab can actually point. God forbid that ever happen.

Cheers,