HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Changing Deer Season Months
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 07:07 AM
Sport 2

Default RE: Changing Deer Season Months

I think PGC should greatly reduce the number of doe tags sold. If there are "problem" areas with high densities of doe, I think they should be handled as "green tag" areas, where within certain boundries you can apply for a extra doe tag, or possibly use your buck tag on a doe (areas would need to be clearly marked).
I also think they need to reduce the season length. I think they should have doe season run monday or wednesdayto saturday of the last week of buck season.
As I see it there are two main options for the PGC. Either leave things as they are and watch the numbers of liscense sales decrease year after year, and along with it much of thier funding. Or they could cut back on the doe harvest for afewyears (and listen to all the "Hunters" whine, whine, *itch and complain). Or they could impose some major changes, such as virtually stop doe season for a couple years, or change the liscense to come with a buck tag, that changes to a deer (buck or doe) tag for the last 3 days of the regularseason and late achery and muzzeloader. But again this would make many people scream, cry, and throw a real tantrum.
There is no fix that will make everyone happy. But going at the current rate and direction in just a few years no-one will be happy, with virtually no deer to hunt, and virtually no liscense salesfor funding. I personally will have a hard time justifying $160.00 on a hunting liscense to see no deer. I already hunt NY, and I think if PA does not change what it is doing I'll go to Ohio instead.
Hunting is a great heritage that we as a group need to pass on. But it will be very difficult to keep a kid interested if whe take one hunting you don't see any game. But thats just my thoguhts..