HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - best time to start a food plot?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Rick James
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best time to start a food plot?

ORIGINAL: wabashbowhunt

i have spent more money on dumber things i have no prob spending it on this thanx for the info tho should i plant clover mixed with bio logic or some kind of combo like that
I am wouldn't be surprised if this thread was moved, but I will respond here anyhow for now........

It depends on what kind of a plot you want.

If you live north of the Mason Dixon and get frost sometime around bow season, then I would consider doing either a cold weather plot, or a plot with 2 seperate sections including warmer weather food sources (clover), and cold weather sources (corn, brassicas, turnips, etc).

This year I planted mostly cold weather stuff at my place in PA and the deer are absolutely hammering it. They are still coming into the plot during all daylight hours in PA and our gun season has been in full swing for over a week now. I still have enough forage for them in a 1.5 acre plot to last until March probably. It has 3 major strips including Biologic Premium Perennial (not thrilled with this) which is a mix of clover and Brassica's, Biologic Maximum (awesome cold weather food), and Biologic Full Draw (brassica/turnip mix).

Here is a link to a journal I started on the project. I can't wait for next year to get it going again and to add 2 more plots to the property. [8D]

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.a...age=1&key=