HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Goals, goals, goals.
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 05:27 AM
GMMAT
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Goals, goals, goals.

I honestly don't think I went into the season with any "goals". I even waited until the last minute to join the contest......because I didn't know if I'd be a good teammate. I didn't know if I'd shoot,.......or not.

I took my first buck on 9/30 (this is my second season bowhunting....having started on 10/14 of '05). I've since harvested3 more deer (including a piebald!). I'm looking for a couple of bucks in my area.....and I won't shoot (at a buck) unless I see one of them. I may take a doe or 2 if I don't see the bucks by this weekend. We'll see.

I think MY goal was to learn my herd as good as I can. It's taken me most of this season too. I watch them most every day in one way or another. I now know just about where they live (as close as I can get).....and I know where they're going at what point in the season. To me.......these facts are the hardest parts.....and the most challenging aspects to hunting these animals. The killing is the easy part.

I also wanted to become proficient at butchering my own animals. I've had a little practice, now.....and I'm confident in my ability to get that job done.

I want to grow....every year......as an all around bowhunter. Next year....I'll likely hunt LESS days. I won't HAVE to hunt as hard, next year. I also think the early season will be VERY productive for me in '07.

Jeff